Introduction

Mumbai ,formerly known as Bombay, is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra. With an estimated population of 20.5 million, it is the largest metropolis in India and one of the most populous cities in the world. The Mumbai Metropolitan Area which includes cities of Navi Mumbai & Thane, is also the world's 5th most populated metropolitan area.

There are so many Places around Mumbai to see . Which include Temples, Historical Places, Hill station, Wild Life and Waterfalls etc.
This site help to find out known-unknown places around Mumbai. which can be one or two day picnic for People and children's who don't have time.
Then What you are Thinking Lets Plan to see Nature..

Sunday, July 17, 2011

St. Thomas Cathedral Church



Location: Churchgate Station  

Built in: 1718

How to reach: One can easily reach St. Thomas Cathedral Church by taking local Buses, auto-rickshaws or by hiring taxis from Mumbai






St. Thomas Cathedral, Mumbai, completed in 1718, is the first Anglican church in Mumbai to improve the "moral standards" of the growing British settlement. It is located on Veer Nariman Road, close to Horniman Circle Gardens and the Flora Fountain. The name of nearby Church gate Station has reference to this church.
Gerald Aungier was placed in charge of the British East India Company's newly acquired factories at surat and Bombay, which had until then belonged to Portugal. As Governor of Bombay from 1672—1677, Angier built a church, a hospital, a court of justice and other civic amenities on the English model, and fortified the Company's commercial establishment. The foundation stone for the church was laid in 1676, on Bombay Green, at the present site of the St. Thomas' Cathedral, but over 40 years elapsed before construction could be completed. Richard Cobbe, the Chaplain, completed the construction of the building between 1715 and 1718. It was opened for divine service on Christmas Day 1718, and since then has served continuously as a church.
The church was consecrated a cathedral in July 1837. The tower and the clock at the western end were added in 1838. About 25 years later a major renovation scheme was launched to enlarge the chancel. This was completed by 1865.
Here, many a Briton was laid to rest under elaborate marble tablets engraved with touching elegies— generals and clerks and young maids all lying together in the silent, sundappled interior. Most of the tombstones bear eloquent messages

Post a Comment

Ad